Sunday, November 11, 2012

Korean Thermostats-- or how does that thing work?

Korean thermostat example

I would like to take a moment to introduce our thermostat as I don't believe you had the opportunity to meet before. Now, it seems pretty simple, and it really is not as complicated as it looks. That said, it's in Korean so it is a little bit of a challenge. 

When we first arrived here in late August 2012 we had no real need for it because it was still sort of hot out and we were still using the air conditioners off and on at that time. Our director instructed us how to turn the hot water on for when we shower by hitting the red button to turn the boiler on and then hitting the green button just above it for the hot water. Then when we finished we were told to turn it off by hitting the red button again. 

Since it's been getting cold we've bought ourselves hats and gloves, and I even got myself a snazzy purple scarf, but when you're inside that just doesn't cut it. So that means operating the thermostat (especially when the director is away on the weekends). She didn't really give me instructions aside from turning on the boiler (since they do floor heating here and warm water is pumped up through the building), so I was a little dumbfounded in trying to figure out how things work. 

I had the good fortune of stumbling upon a blog with a post titled My battles with the Thermostat which, while it wasn't the exact same image as our thermostat, it was similar enough once I figured out what I was looking for. If you need further assistance with similar thermostats, that's the place to go. I am so glad to have found it!

That said, the dials on the left side are easy to figure out. You have the current temperature reading on top, 16 degrees C is pretty cold for inside! The dial below that indicates the desired temperature, the one below that is the timer (so in this case the boiler will turn off after 3 hours), and finally, below that is the minimum and max temperatures for the water.

The buttons to the right are the confusing part. So with the assistance of the previously mentioned post I was able to figure out that top button is the "normal" setting, the one below it is the "sleep" setting, and the button above the red on/off/reset button is to turn on the hot water.

4 comments:

  1. Hey!
    Just found this post and I have the same thermostat. Was wondering how long it took you to get hot water once you hit the button?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our hot water doesn't take too long, maybe 5 minutes at most? I'm not sure how dependent that is on whether the heat is on in general though. Our ondol heating is typically on most of the time in the evenings and into the mornings when we take showers so the boiler has already been on for at least a while beforehand.

      Are you having trouble with yours taking a while?

      Delete
  2. Hiya! I just wanted to say the fact that you actually have created a magnificent blog. And I have a question for you. Do you have plans to write in a professional way or blogging is just a of yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, we're trying to share our experiences here and I'm glad that it's useful and interesting to our readers.

      Neither of us (being myself and my husband) write professionally, but it is something we both enjoy in different ways. Blogging has been the best way for us to stay in touch with family and friends while we're away in South Korea.

      Thanks for visiting and the kind words, here's to much more blogging to come!

      Delete