Thursday, May 10, 2012

An Introduction

Who am I? Why do I want to try teaching overseas?

Well, I'm Manda. I lived in central Indiana for many years where I started college and changed my major plenty of times. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I made the decision to move out to Pennsylvania where I attended community college for a few years and finally finished my degree at a state college. Now, after more years of schooling than I like to admit, I do have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and minors in Anthropology and Sociology.

 I enjoy psychology, social psychology in particular, but don't find it to be my main area of interest. I am much more fascinated by the fields of anthropology and sociology. However, having said that, I am actually hoping to pursue a masters degree in library science or student affairs at some point in my lifetime. 

I have always been a reader and it's a hobby I continue to enjoy. I am also an amateur photographer and hope to learn more and develop my skills, especially for being overseas! Other, mostly nerdy hobbies of mine include anime and manga, video games, and more recently reading comics. I'm also a fan of BBC programming (Doctor Who, anyone?) and board games. Going along with that, I also have a very extensive list of bookmarks of webcomics of many different types by many very talented artists.

Now, why exactly do I want to teach overseas? Well, why not? Having just moved back to Indiana with a not-particularly-special job, no lease to worry about for an apartment, and pretty minimal strings attached, what else are two newlyweds to do? Teach English overseas of course. New cultures and new languages are always a major culture shock, but with two of us, it seems like a grand adventure, and nothing the two of us can't handle together. Plus, we'll come back with pictures, fantastic experiences, and stories to tell about. Plus, it's pretty nice on the checkbook which will be another perk for when we get back. ^.^


No comments:

Post a Comment