Tuesday, August 28, 2012

First few days


So it begins, we have officially taught for the first time yesterday after shadowing for a single day on Friday.  We were thrown into the fire with two classes yesterday.  I will get to how that went, but first lets talk about our day of shadowing.

Our shadowing day was interesting.  There was a sense of wonderment about these new honkeys in the classroom which made the children act out quite a bit.  I have my sights on some trouble students who I probably won't be able to change but at least I know who to look out for.  The first hour or so of the day is spent on something called the "morning message" which basically consists of anything I really want it to which is a weird sense of freedom I didn't really expect.  The rest of the day pretty much follows a pretty normal schedule, story time, phonics, lunch, special classes, then the older kid classes begin.

We were thrown it literally knowing nothing for the older classes which sucked because the first class of the older children is the problem class.  Out of 5 students there are two serious problem children in the class.  They were unruly and disrespectful, but that is to be expected since Manda didn't know she was supposed to be helping and I didn't spell out any rules.  We now have decided on the rules and will enforce them strictly.

The last class of the day is four older girls who are super giggly and nice.  They are all surprisingly good at English, and pretty smart in general.  We have decided for that class we are going to do a song of the week since they all enjoy music, and teach them the lyrics and discuss the song.  We should be teaching for the first full day tomorrow, which is terrifying to me, but I know we will be able to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment